Stirling Uni fall to late turnaround in defeat to Tranent

The University of Stirling men’s eight-match unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of Tranent, who ran out 2-1 winners at Forthbank Stadium.

Ciaran McAninch’s well-placed penalty was not enough to come away with a result. A quick turnaround late on would seal the result for the traveling side.

The students made a promising start to the game. After a break in play, Ciaran McAninch found Redwood who quickly played the ball out to James Russell on the left flank. The midfielder’s cross just failed to meet the darting Redwood at the front post.

Tranent dealt with the early pressure well and started to dominate the game.  

Their striker, Cammy Ross was sent through on goal in the 5th minute, but Gromov did well to close the angle, ushering the attempted chip over the bar.

Gromov continued to be called into action. Kieran Someville’s curled effort and Broque Watson’s placed shot were kept out well.

James Russell’s back post header looked to be the opener for the Uni, but the Tranent keeper got down well to parry the ball out.

Whatever was said at halftime clearly influenced the home side, as they looked much sharper coming out for the second half.

Great combination play in the midfield saw the ball break to Russell whose shot was saved by the Tranent keeper.

Stirling would continue to create good chances. Redwood’s one-on-one chance was swallowed up by Kelby Mason in the Tranent goal while McAninch saw his effort smash off the crossbar.

Tranent would have a great chance of their own 5 minutes later. St Johnstone loanee Jackson Mylchreest’s shot from the left looked destined for the top corner if it wasn’t for the heroics of Gromov who pulled out a top save.

In the 66th minute, the students would have a penalty, after McKinley was hacked down in the box by Euan Greig.

Ciaran McAninch stepped up cooly and converted the spot kick to make it 1-0.

Tranent looked dangerous from set pieces. A long free kick from substitute Ben Miller found Euan Greig’s head but his header went just wide.

Two more chances would go begging from corners.

The visitors would be rewarded for their response late on. Aiden Walsh was sent through on goal in the 82nd minute, sliding the ball under the keeper to equalise.

Two minutes later, Tranent would strike again, capitalising on a break in play, finding striker Cammy Ross who made no mistake this time with his chipped effort over the onrushing Gromov and into the goal.

The visitors would hold onto the win, ending Stirling’s 8-game unbeaten run.

Head coach Chris Geddes said: “We didn’t look at the races today, especially in that first half.

There was no energy, intensity was poor, ball play was really poor, and Tranent really made us suffer in the first half. But that’s what happens when you play the good teams. You can’t win them all.”

Next up for the students is a trip to Gala Fairydean Rovers next Saturday in the Lowland League.

University of Stirling: Gromov Godik, Southern (Malcolm 65), Aslanoglu, Lavery, Scally (Morris 65), Russell (Woloszyn 86), McAninch, Jeanes, McKinlay, Maciver-Redwood (Manomey 86), Heal (Munro 86).

Featured image credit to George Vekic.

See the full gallery of this match here.

Theme by the University of Stirling