Defeat for Stirling University in first home league match of the season

Cammy McKinley challenges for the ball in Wednesday’s defeat to Cumbernauld Colts (image: George Vekic).

By Matthew Burns

The University of Stirling men’s football team suffered a 3-0 defeat in their first home league match of the season against Cumbernauld Colts. 

A hat-trick from Colts forward Billy Mortimer resulted in disappointment for the University. 

Head coach Chris Geddes said: “It’s obviously disappointing. Cumbernauld fully deserved to win, but it could’ve been different. 

“Similar to Saturday, we had opportunities. We had one 15 seconds into the game and should have been 1-0 up. We got ourselves into some really good areas for the first half an hour of the game, but they got two goals in two minutes which was really disappointing. We know we can do things better”. 

“We’ve got a new squad and it’s going to take time to gel, but we need to tidy things up.”

The home side started the game sharply and with good attacking intent, notably a ball over the top played into the path of striker Maciver Redwood which forced a save from the keeper. 

The early pressure continued with a few early corners. Defender Isa Aslanoglu rose high to head a floated ball from the corner, which hit the side netting.

Stirling goalkeeper Yan Gromov Godik made a pair of good early saves to deny the Colts from close range as the pressure began to mount. 

In the 28th minute, the Colts broke the deadlock with a low ball played into the box which Mortimer dispatched into the bottom right corner of the net. 

Just a few minutes later, the away side would have their second after another low cross was fizzed in towards the back post, resulting in an easy tap-in for their number 9. 

The University, who fought hard during the first half, were dealt a sucker punch in the 46th minute as the ref pointed to the spot after Aslanoglu brought down Mortimer with a last-ditch tackle.

The penalty rifled into the top left corner of the net, putting the Colts out of reach. 

Chances were few and far between for the University, who had to work tirelessly against a resolute Cumbernauld side.

Maciver Redwood would have another chance a few minutes following the penalty, but was denied by the keeper after a good shot from a tight angle. 

The University would have a chance for a consolation late into the second half, as Munro drove nicely through midfield and slipped in McKinley.

However, he was forced wider than he would’ve hoped and his shot whistled just wide of the far-post. 

The University will look to regroup and regain focus ahead of their league match versus East Kilbride at home on Saturday. 

University of Stirling: Gromov Godik, Isa Aslanoglu, Marcus Lavery, Luke Morris (Cammy Robertson 45)(Nathan Tallen 87), Shea Scally, James Malcolm, Ben Woloszyn (Archie Munro 45), Ciaran McAninch, Ben Maciver Redwood (Jose Navarro 87), Cameron McKinley, James Stokes

See full gallery from the match on the George Vekic Photography website.

Theme by the University of Stirling