Uni defeated by Cowdenbeath in Fife

By Andrew Robson at Central Park

The University of Stirling suffered their second defeat of the month to Cowdenbeath but remain only three points behind leaders Rangers B in the Lowland League.

Second-half strikes from Scott Sinclair and Jack Garrad sealed all three points for the home side in a game of few chances.

Following the defeat head coach Chris Geddes was frustrated with the manner of the defeat. He said: “I’m disappointed, we didn’t deserve to lose.

“The wind played a factor in both halves, but in the first half with the wind on our side, we didn’t test their goalie enough.

“In the second half against it, we caused them problems, but their defenders threw themselves at everything and they were good on the counter.

“It’s disappointing because we did have opportunities, it’s a tough day and it’s going to be a learning experience for us.

“Listen, it was a hard day for both teams, but sadly for us we were on the wrong end of it.”

With the wind on their side, Stirling started on top. A series of long throws from Matty Burrows caused problems in the box but the Uni failed to find a crucial final touch.

Cowdenbeath would have an early chance of their own, a short Marcus Lavery back pass presented the Cowdenbeath forward with a one-on-one but an equally poor first touch would give Fry the chance to collect.

The most exciting moment of the first half came when Uni captain James Berry whipped a cross towards the back post. His cross, assisted by the swirling wind, required Cowdenbeath keeper Daniel Farrell to push the ball onto the bar at full stretch as it looped goalward.

The second half presented both sides with opportunities to take the lead early on. First Fry saved well at his near post before McKinlay sliced an effort wide at the other end.

On 54 minutes Fry was once again called into action, tipping a low shot from Sean Slaven wide but the Uni would fail to clear the resulting corner. The ball fell to Scott Sinclair who turned and smashed it into the net giving Cowdenbeath the lead.

The Uni would push for an equaliser as the second half progressed, the best chance falling to Euan McGill who failed to hit the target with a flick at the near post.

Cowdenbeath’s second would come on the 90-minute mark. Fry’s kick landing at the feet of substitute Jack Garrad who took a touch and placed the ball into the empty net from 25 yards.

Despite Cowdenbeath’s position in the table, they boast one of the best defensive records in the division. Led by captain Jordan Armstrong the Cowdenbeath backline defended their box well throughout.

Stirling have the chance to bounce back midweek when they travel to Durham in the BUCS Premier North only needing a point to clinch the league title. Geddes said: “Full focus goes to Durham, we need a point, so we’ll go down there and try to get that result.

“It’s a good opportunity for the boys, we know what’s on the line.

“When we get into training on Monday, we’ll hopefully have forgotten about this one because it was disappointing, but the focus turns to the BUCS game then the cup game next weekend.”

Cowdenbeath: Farrell, Thomson, Armstrong, Lemon, Robinson, Love, Cunningham (Garrad 67’), Berry, Sinclair (Struthers 88’), Slaven, Newman

University of Stirling: Fry, Burrows, Lavery (Gilmour 67’), Service, Heal, Jarvis (McGill 67’), Stokes (Mirzsalimov 77’), Russell (McAinish 77’), McKinley (Rae 67’), MacIver-Redwood, Berry

Theme by the University of Stirling