Stokes header hands students win in five-goal thriller

By John Turnbull at Newtown Park

University of Stirling picked up a well-earned 3-2 win against Bo’ness United on Saturday afternoon.

The students began the scoring with a brace from Jamie Penker to lead 2-0 inside 20 minutes at Newtown Park.

Goals either side of half-time from Greg Skinner and Matty Flynn respectively had the game all square, before James Stokes’ header was enough to clinch the win.

Head coach Chris Geddes said: “I’m delighted. Three league games in a row where we have been in front, we’ve not got anything, or only a point, but we saw the game out well.

“People will look at Stirling Uni’s scores and say Jamie Penker isn’t scoring, but he’s putting in a power of work and good performances so I’m really happy he got his two goals today.

“I felt really comfortable, after we saw off a spell when they brought on Anderson up front, and then when we scored our goal, I think we were quite comfortable.

“Its fine margins in the Lowland League. If we had scored chances earlier on in the season, we would’ve won games. We’ve played like this all season; we just haven’t taken chances. The last few weeks we have built on a really good defensive foundation, and we’re a fit squad playing two games a week.”

Both sides played their part in an entertaining Lowland League battle and it didn’t take long for the goal-fest to begin.

Jamie Penker got back to goal scoring ways when he grabbed his first after only five minutes. The striker beat the offside trap and slotted calmly into the net to open the scoring.

The students’ dream start continued when the lead was doubled. Stirling caught Bo’ness on the break and Stokes slid in Penker who went round the goalkeeper before tapping home.

The Uni’s defence was eventually breached five minutes later. United’s threat from corners finally paid off when the ball was flicked on to Skinner who nudged it over the line.

Stirling got into the break ahead, but only just. The hosts were dangerous from set-pieces throughout the first period, and would’ve equalised if not for the woodwork from two free-kicks.

On 62 minutes the game was level. Flynn done well to dribble into the box and smash the ball into the far corner.

Geddes side responded to the equaliser though, and were back ahead five minutes later. Substitute Louis Kennedy picked out an excellent cross for Stokes to glance a header into the far corner.

And he was right to be pleased with how the game would end. The University battled all the way to the final whistle, and held on to grab an important three points.

University of Stirling: Fry, Burrows, Lavery, Stanger, Hutchinson, Doan, Berry, McArthur (Davidson 83’), Stokes (McGill 85’), Downie, Penker (Kennedy 59’)

Bo’ness United: Gilpin, Skinner, Carstairs, Gemmell, Nicol (Anderson 54’), Peggie, Locke, Galbraith (Macauley 25’), Wilson (Johnston 54’), Hawkins, Flynn

Theme by the University of Stirling