Students defeated by Berwick after conceding twice in second half

By Graham Fleming at Forthbank Stadium

The University of Stirling fell to defeat at the hands of Berwick Rangers as two second half goals sealed all three points for the visitors.

The students struck first through James Stokes in the opening period, but Berwick replied with a penalty just before half time.

Rangers however scored twice thanks to Graham Taylor who would earn his side all three points.

University of Stirling Head coach Chris Geddes said after the game: “It was really disappointing.

“After the first half, we just gave the ball away so many times. I could talk about the second half all day because it just wasn’t good enough, Berwick deserved it after that.

“We kept giving Berwick the ball back. It was a day where everyone was looking at someone else to do the magic part, and it just never happened.

“In the Lowland League, if you give teams like Berwick the ball, they are going to hurt you, and that’s what they did. I have no complaints because they really deserved the win.”

The students were looking to build on their impressive 6-1 win against Cumbernauld Colts last Friday coming into this game, and started the match well.

A couple of chances fell the University’s way early on, as Jamie Penker fired over the bar from inside the box and Euan McGill had his shot stopped after he was found by Stokes.

Stirling’s pressure paid off on the half-hour mark as Stokes found the opening goal. Kennedy, who impressively dribbled past his man on the right drilled a ball across the box to Stokes who slotted home to give his side the lead.

The advantage was short-lived, however, as – with the last kick of the half – Ferguson was bundled over in the Stirling box which prompted the referee to point to the spot.

Scott-Taylor Mackenzie levelled the two sides with the spot kick and the first half was brought to a close.

The equaliser seemed to come at the perfect time for the visitors as the University emerged a different side in the second half – they were often giving possession away cheaply and inviting pressure from Berwick.

They eventually paid for their sloppy play when Taylor gave Berwick the lead on the 78th minute.

Taylor was found by substitute Sean Stewart with a flick and he raced through on goal and slotted home into the far corner of the net, past Ben Fry.

It was game, set and match in the 87th minute as Graham Taylor added to his tally – the ball was passed along the Stirling box and eventually Taylor found it at his feet and unleashed a shot into the back of the net to complete the scoring and the game ended 3-1.

University of Stirling: Fry, McGale, Doan, Thompson, Downie, Berry, Kennedy, de Zoeten, (Lavery) Penker, McGill, (Hutchison) Stokes (Davidson.)
Berwick Rangers: McNeil, Finnie, Pyper, Cook, Ferguson, Barr, Mackenzie, Harris, Taylor, Allan, Smith.

Photography by George Vekic.

Theme by the University of Stirling